Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Auntie Em! Auntie Em! Again?

The Dance Of The Tornado
This man is crazy.
Get out of there, take cover!
Don't confront the tornado!

Little sister Biblio lives in Raleigh, North Carolina. I watched weather reports Saturday as the storm clouds gathered over her home. I waited to call knowing she might have to run for it and I didn't want to distract her. When I called and she answered I asked, "Are you in the storm cellar?" No storm cellars in her neck of the woods she laughed.

As all tornado veterans do, she had been watching the skies. Jack, the cat, had just been placed in his carrier when her husband yelled for her. They stood under the shelter of their garage and watched it rain building materials up and down her street. Insulation, shingles, tiles, even putty. It was so disturbing for her to stand and watch the remnants of people's homes and lives drop from the sky. She felt a measure of guilt that she was safe and untouched.

As it always does, this led us to relive that time when we were young and confronted the demon tornado. I'll relive it for you here.

"Black Tuesday"

May 21, 1957
Shortly After 4pm
St. Francois County, Missouri

I was born and raised in St. Francois County, Missouri. St. Francois County's tornado activity is 58.16% higher than the United States average. I really don't need the statistic; it's here for you, I lived it.

By the time I was ten, I had been taught to read the clouds. Reading the clouds could save your life. When the storm clouds gathered in southeastern Missouri you would find everyone in their yards, their eyes fixed on the heavens. You had to know when to take cover. There were no sirens or tornado alert systems in 1957. That tornado intuition Missourians are born with was all we had to depend on to save our lives; and sometimes even that didn't save us.

It was Tuesday afternoon, May 21, 1957, shortly after three o'clock. I was riding the school bus home with my little sister, Biblio. Mrs. Hill, my fourth grade teacher, had been eyeing the clouds most of the afternoon. She was on edge. We all were. When the final bell rang, she escorted each of us to our waiting bus. Usually she said good-bye to us in the classroom. That day, she didn't.

Our bus driver was Troy Mills, he lived just down the road from us. He was a local dairy farmer for the better part of the day, hard-nosed school bus driver for an hour in the morning and in the early afternoon. He drove a no nonsense school bus. He didn’t talk, nor did we. During the ride home he cricked his neck to look out the window at the very dark clouds forming. When the bus stopped in front of our driveway he instructed Biblio and me to go straight into the house. My sister and I ran sensing the urgency. When I turned to look back Mr. Mills was still standing there in the road, making certain. He had never done that before.

Biblio and I ran. In the kitchen dinner was on the stove, but both my parents and my brothers were out back on the deck. Mom and Dad were looking at the ominous clouds off toward Cantwell and Desloge. My Grandmother, two uncles and an aunt lived in those towns. It was now about 3.50pm.

Dad's Tornado Emergency Disaster Plan was "run for it." He predicated that plan on what I consider to be flawed logic. 1) Our home was on the top of one of Missouri’s rolling hills. We had an almost 360 degree unobstructed view. We could see tornadoes coming and could jump in the car and run for it. This does not take into consideration the dark of night. Tornadoes can’t tell time. 2) Tornadoes do not travel uphill and we lived on a hill. We would always have time to run. This does not take into consideration a tornado forming on the top of a hill and traveling downward, even if the first part were true. He did have a plan, though, and as children we believed in him and were reassured.

I will remember always what I saw and how frightened I was as I stood on the deck. Off toward Desloge the huge outline of a tornado had formed. It swung side to side and was punctuated by what looked like lightning bolts, but were in fact transformers and electric lines exploding. It was shortly after 4.00pm.

F3 Tornado Deslodge 1957

Dad's Tornado Emergency Disaster Plan was implemented. I ran to my room to grab my jewelry box; my girlish childhood treasure. I didn't stop to think that the pop beads Aunt Ella had won in the Bingo games in Florida would be of little comfort to me if we lost our home. Biblio wanted the kittens that had been born a few days earlier. All of them. She wanted her big sister to save them. I handed her the jewelry box and pointed her and the boys toward the car.

My father was yelling, "Get in the Car!" Mother was arguing. Ah, my Mother the fatalist. "If I'm going to die in a tornado, I'm going to die in a tornado. I'm not leaving my home."

I thought I'd have time. I ran out the back door and crawled under the house to grab the kittens and their mother. Just above me, Dad had thrown my Mother over his shoulder, shut off the stove, and deposited her in the car; only to find his oldest daughter was missing.

I couldn't reach the kittens. I stretched and called to the Mother cat, but she wouldn't cooperate. The next thing I knew Dad was dragging me out by my feet. "Animals know how to save themselves in a tornado," he reassured me. Another flawed supposition that saw the light of truth when the neighbor's cow was found the next day pinned to a tree by a two by four.

We were now on the road traveling parallel to the tornado and in a head-on course. It was enormous and an eerily strange greenish color. The tornado did not change its course and we passed it headed in the opposite direction. The direction where moments before it had caused eight deaths, 75 injuries, and millions of dollars in damages. We headed straight to Cantwell and my Grandmother's house.

What we saw when we headed into town will remain with me always. Familiar homes and businesses were nothing more than piles of bricks, in some cases only bare ground. People I knew were wandering around what remained of their homes obviously stunned. What of my grandmother? The tornado had selected a house here, another there, in some cases leaving a house intact next to the rubble that had just moments before been a neighbor's home. There was debris everywhere. A roof, furniture, clothes, the streets were difficult to navigate.

Cantwell After The Tornado

I was hanging onto the back of the front seat staring out the windshield when I saw her. My grandmother! She was standing in the street in front of her home. Yes, she and her home were still standing. She was out checking on the well-being of her neighbors. Most of the homes at the end of her street, which backed-up to a chat dump, were untouched. She ran up to the car urging my father to get to my Aunt's four blocks away to make sure she and her family we unharmed.

I remember the gasps from my mother as we traveled the four blocks. Blocks that in some cases were no longer there. We drove up to my Aunt's house. The house was there, "Thank God," my mother said. As we got closer, we saw my eight-year old Cousin tangled in the chain link fence out front screaming hysterically. My aunt was trying to calm her and open the fists she had made a part of the fence. She would not turn loose.

They had taken refuge in the bathtub in the interior first floor bathroom of their two story home. They had no basement. It was the sound, my aunt old us. It had sounded like a freight train. That was followed by the whine of the neighbors homes as they gave up and succumbed to the tornado. Then, dead quiet. It had been more than an eight-year old mind could comprehend. Mother, a nurse, looked at her and determined their was no physical damage.

We moved on to check on my Uncle and his family, a few more blocks away. My Uncle described his experience to the local newspaper:

Otis Campbell said he was eating supper when it began to look very bad. He told his wife he was going out and feed the dog before it got too bad. When he went out, he looked up and spotted the tornado forming. He called for his wife and she came out to look. When they saw it was headed in their direction they ran to a neighbor's basement. Mr. Campbell said that when it was all over, it was very calm, but then he began to hear people scream. Mrs. Campbell said that hanging on their cherry tree in their back yard was a shirt freshly ironed and still on a hanger. Also, their dog and dog house were gone. They found the dog house, with the dog inside, one block away. The dog was unhurt.

I remember that shirt. My Aunt took us out back to marvel; not a spot, not a wrinkle. Freshly ironed, the shirt hung on its coat hanger, on a tree branch, as if it had been hung there intentionally. We didn't stay long enough to see the dog reunited with his family. No, we had left our home and my mother wanted to return, to be certain we still had one. When last we had seen the tornado it was headed our direction.

We took one of the back roads to avoid the downed lines and emergency vehicles. When we topped a small hill we saw what remained of a familiar home and men digging furiously trying to save the people inside. Dad parked the car at the side of the road, on an incline, and jumped out to help. He left the car running in case Mother needed to move it. She stayed with us. Soon Dad yelled for my Mother saying they needed a nurse. She turned off the car and warned us to stay put.

The four of us were watching out the window as my mother was lowered into the rubble. What a frightening image for four small children. As we watched, I realized something was not quite right. The car was moving. We were rolling down the hill. I jumped into the front seat, gripped the steering wheel, and pumped the brake. I could not stop the car. Biblio opened one of the suicide doors and jumped. I yelled at my brothers to stay put. Biblio was now outside in the road screaming. A man standing in the yard saw the danger we were in and chased the car. He opened the door, jumped in, and set the emergency brake. He turned to me and asked where my parents were; crying and unable to talk I pointed at the house. He put Biblio back in the car and left to find my parents. I moved back into the driver's seat and kept my foot on the brake.

My Mother and Father soon returned to the car visibly shaken. They had tried to save the woman in the house, but she was dead. As I remember, so was her husband and perhaps others. Then a stranger told my parents their four children had been passengers in a runaway car and had to be saved themselves.

My Mother could take no more. All she wanted was to know if she still had a home. It wasn't far, just down the road. As we passed the Black Walnut on the fence line above our house we caught a glimpse of it. Home! Still standing, undamaged. We had survived. We had all survived.

The house still stands today never having been the victim of a tornado. Perhaps my father's logic wasn't flawed after all.

Washington state is not known for its tornadoes, yet when storm clouds gather you will find me in the yard, my eyes fixed on the heavens. Old fears are hard to break!


Note: Here is the list of tornadoes that hit southeast Missouri, May 21, 1957:

The F#, location, time of day, path length, deaths

F3 E of Doss Dent , 2100 10.2 miles(16.3 km)
F2 S of Squires Taney, Douglas, 2115 14.5 miles (23.2 km)
F1 NE of Mill Spring Wayne, 2130, 13 miles (20.8 km)
F1 S of Centerville Reynolds, 2145, 0.2 miles (0.32 km)
F3 SW of Sunlight to Desloge Washington, St. Francois, 2145, 22.2 miles (35.5 km), 8 deaths
F4 NE of Fremont Carter, 2153, 9.1 miles (14.6 km), 7 deaths
F2 N of Burfordville Cape Girardeau, 2300, 5.1 miles (8.2 km)
F2 E of Lewistown Lewis, 2330, 7.4 miles (11.8 km)
F1 E of Cardwell to N of Deering Dunklin, Pemiscot, 0545, 23.7 miles (37.9 km)
F2 W of Kennett Dunklin, 0545, 0.1 miles(0.16 km)

The stories of this storm are amazing. More accounts and photographs can be found here.


F3 Tornado. Unknown. Digital Image. 1957. St. Francois County MoGenWeb. (accessed July 2009.)

Cantwell. Unknown. Digital Image. 1957. St. Francois County MoGenWeb. (accessed July 2009.)


Blogger Jo said...

I'm not surprised that old habits die hard, considering what you all went through. It sounds terrifying. At least here (in Scotland) the worst you can expect is being snowed in in wintertime, and being rained on in summertime. Were the cats OK when you got home? Jo

April 20, 2011 at 10:49 AM  
Blogger footnoteMaven said...

Jo -

Yes, the kittens and their mother were fine. The tornado missed us completely.

I LOVE Scotland. Would live there if I could regardless of the rain or snow. I would have to learn to speak the language, though!


April 20, 2011 at 11:03 AM  
Blogger Lisa Wallen Logsdon said...

This made me cry. Oh my, what a story!

April 20, 2011 at 11:16 AM  
Blogger footnoteMaven said...

Lisa, it still makes me cry.


April 20, 2011 at 11:48 AM  
Blogger Midge Frazel said...

That's quite the story. I clutched at my pop beads.

April 20, 2011 at 1:36 PM  
Blogger footnoteMaven said...

Midge - you little pack rat. I thought I was the only one who still had pop beads!


April 20, 2011 at 1:46 PM  
Blogger Greta Koehl said...

Oh, the involuntary reactions such experiences give rise to in later years; I think I may have mentioned the friend who still gets hysterical every time a tornado warning is issued in her part of Texas.

April 20, 2011 at 5:57 PM  
Blogger footnoteMaven said...

Greta - And with good reason. Fear is the correct response to a tornado, unlike the man in the video. -fM

April 20, 2011 at 6:01 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

I hate tornados, I have been accused of having a weather tick, aka, I pay way too much attention to weather forecasts and tend to get rather hysterical during tornado weather alerts.

This is one scary story.

Makes me shudder.

April 20, 2011 at 7:54 PM  
Blogger Scamp said...

An absolutely awesome telling of a memory that only a few folks have. I'm impressed on all fronts--the writing, the documentation, the history...
Glad I have stumbled upon your blog!

April 21, 2011 at 5:15 AM  
Blogger footnoteMaven said...

Carol - It's you and me in the storm cellar. I have a very healthy respect.

April 21, 2011 at 7:45 AM  
Blogger footnoteMaven said...

Scamp -

Thank you very much for your lovely comment. It's always good to see a new face.

I hope you visit again soon!


April 21, 2011 at 7:47 AM  
Anonymous Tom Duffy said...

Your story is very personal to me. I grew up in Bonne Terre. I was in 5th grade in May '57.

That day, my mom, a friend of mine and I were traveling on the "back road," headed to Rivermines to pick my dad up at work.

We were a few hundred yards north of the Big River bridge when we saw the tornado. It was on top of the chat dump (so much for the "they can't go uphill" theory). It reminded me of a picture I'd seen of Mt. Etna erupting.

We sought shelter at one house, but it had no basement. We could see the tornado as it moved through Desloge. What we took to be limbs whirling around the funnel were, of course, trees.

We went down the road a few hundred feet and found a house (right at the turn before the RR tracks) that had a storm cellar dug in the front yard. We went down there till the tornado had passed. There were hailstones the size of baseballs, but they fell almost gently.

We tried to get through Desloge, but the damage caused us to turn back.

The image of the tornado bulging out at the top of the chat dump will, I'm sure, remain with me until I die.

April 21, 2011 at 1:03 PM  
Blogger Michelle Goodrum said...

What a positively riveting story, I felt like I was there with you and experienced the fear.

Being born in Western Washington (and now living in Arizona), I have never even come close to experiencing a tornado and hope I never do.

April 21, 2011 at 11:45 PM  
Blogger footnoteMaven said...

Tom - Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us. It seems it's a day we both remember and will continue to remember.

It was so good to hear from someone from home! I post about home often, hope to see you back here. -fM

April 22, 2011 at 7:54 AM  
Blogger footnoteMaven said...

Michelle -

Thank you for the compliment!

I hope you never run into a twister. On our trip to Montana yesterday we ran into a tornado in Eastern Washington, a hail storm, a sleet storm, and a snowstorm in Missoula. I'm now officially the Weater Girl.

April 22, 2011 at 8:24 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home