Nominate Your Favorite Genealogy Blogs
From The Insider Blog: "Genealogy blogs are going strong with new ones popping up every day, so we’re doing it again in 2011! You can nominate your favorite genealogy blogs using our online form now through Tuesday, Nov. 30.
When you nominate a blog, you’ll give us the title and URL, optionally tell us why you’re nominating it, and put it into one of these eight categories (a few have changed from last year’s Family Tree 40):
- Local/regional history and genealogy: blogs focusing on research in a specific county, state or region. Most library and archive blogs, as well as many local historical and genealogical society blogs, would go here.
- Heritage groups: Blogs focusing on the family history of a specific ethnic, religious or national background (such as African-American, Jewish, Polish, etc.)
- Research advice and how-to: Blogs that primarily explain how to research, analyze photos or perform various family history tasks. The blogger offers tips, strategies and examples; explains genealogical concepts; and writes about how to use new resources.
- Cemeteries: These blogs feature content primarily about cemetery research and visiting cemeteries. Many feature tombstone photos and transcriptions, with information about those interred.
- “My Family History”: Blogs about the blogger’s own roots, including accounts of personal research, their own family photos and heirlooms, stories, recipes, etc.
- “Everything” blogs: Blogs that cover it all—genealogy news, research advice, opinions, local history, family stories, etc.—go here.
- New blogs: Was the blog you’re nominating launched during the past year? Categorize it here, even if it would also fit into another category.
- Technology: Blogs focusing on genealogy websites, software, DNA testing or other aspects of technology as it relates to genealogy.
From Dec. 13 to 20, you all will vote on those finalists for the final Family Tree 40 blogs. The Family Tree 40 blogs, featuring five winners per category, will be revealed in the July 2011 Family Tree Magazine.
Qualifying blogs should:
- be primarily about genealogy.
- have original content (aggregators featuring posts from other blogs will be disqualified).
- belong to a private individual or individuals, not to a business (a change from last year’s Family Tree 40). They may not exist primarily to market products.
- be active, having at least four posts per month for the past three months (or, for blogs newer than three months, four posts per month since the blog has been in existence).
- contain or link to information about the blogger(s), such as an “About Me” page.
- not be hosted by a Family Tree 40 panelist or by Family Tree Magazine.
Look for reminders and updates on Facebook; on Twitter (we'll use hashtag #FT40), in the Family Tree Magazine free, weekly e-mail newsletter, and, of course, here on the Genealogy Insider blog.