Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Ask The footnoteMaven

I received the following citation question from Lisa of 100 Years In American. 100 Years in America just celebrated its 100th post, congratulations Lisa!

footnoteMaven –

A bibliography question for you:

How do you cite a work by or interview with someone with a Ph.D.?

Smith, John, Ph.D., …

Smith, John (Ph.D.),…

…or do I leave off the Ph.D. entirely in a bibliographic reference?

Thanks for your expert opinion. I’m using MLA for a project and cannot find a reference to this.


MLA (Modern Language Association) style is most commonly used to write papers and cite sources within the liberal arts and humanities.

Here’s how it’s done:

Do not list titles (Dr., Sir, Saint, etc.) or degrees (PhD, MA, DDS, etc.) with names. A book listing an author named "Jan Knowitall, PhD" appears simply as "Knowitall, Jan"; do, however, include suffixes like "Jr." or "II."

Putting it all together, a work by Dr. Tony Edmundson, Jr. would be cited as "Edmundson, Tony, Jr.," with the suffix following the first or middle name and a comma.

For more information on how to handle names, consult section 3.8 of The MLA Handbook and sections 6.6.1 and 3.6 of the MLA Style Manual.

An excellent site for MLA citation information is The Purdue Online Writing Lab (Owl).



Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home